Situated in La Place Royal (part of the lower town in Old Quebec) is the little church known as Notre-Dame-des-Victoires ("Our Lady of the Victories"). While construction began in 1687, it took 33 years to complete. Originally dedicated to, and named, L'Enfant Jesus, the town's citizens prayed for salvation during the Battles of Quebec in 1690 and 1711. When the British were forced to retreat during the first battle, and their fleet was sunk during bad weather in the second battle, Quebec felt their prayers had been answered and renamed the church, Notre-Dame-des-Victoires. The church was destroyed during another battle bombardment in 1759, but by 1816, was completely restored. It became a National Historic site in 1988.
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.