This 1441 room summer palace of the Hapsburgs ( it's name meaning "beautiful spring" after an artesian well on the grounds) is largely in the original condition as when it was completed in 1743 under the direction of Empress Maria Theresa. The property, with a small mansion on the grounds, was purchased in 1559 by Holy Roman Emperor Maximzillion II and was to be used for hunting. Between 1638-1643 a palace was added to the existing mansion. This all was given to Emperess Maria Theresa in the early 1740's as a wedding gift. The newly formed Austria Republic assumed responsibility for the property in 1918, turning it into one of the most popular tourist attractions in Austria. The Palace was used for a meeting between American President John F. Kennedy and Russian President Nikita Kruschev in 1961.
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.