While museum’s and cemeteries are great sources for a city’s history, so are it’s old buildings. Included in this posting is a compilation of some of Adelaide’s old structures;
ELDER HALL (University of Adelaide) - built in 1898 following a bequest from Scottish Australian Sir Thomas Elder, and opened in 1900 by the then governor of South Australia, Lord Tennyson, it was originally known as the Australian Senior Acadamy of Music. It is one of Australia’s finest and most historic concert halls and serves as the heart of the musical culture of the country. Modeled after the Middle Temple in London, the Hall is the spiritual home of the Elder Conservatorium.
BLACK BULL HOTEL - during the earliest days of the colony, the Black Bull was Adelaide’s first permanent hotel. Established in1838, its origins were in a tent and was first known as The Buffalo’s Head Hotel. It was renamed the Black Bull in 1841.
EAST END MARKETS - prior to 1875, farmers delivered their products directly to individual grocers. By the late 19th century, the growers and grocers agreed there was a need for an organized market. The East End Markets were established on East Terrace, opposite the Stag Hotel, on property owned by shop-keeper Robert Vaughan. While this market continued to function until 1988, it gradually lost business to the newly formed (1869) and larger Central Market near Victoria Square.
Archival photo of the East End Markets during its heydays.
STAG HOTEL - situated on the corner of Rundle Street and East Terrace, the Stag Hotel has functioned as an Inn or Hotel since 1849. During its early years, the Stag served as the headquarters for produce growers and buyers ( including their horses and vehicles) at the nearby East End Markets. In 1902, the new owner, Thomas Richardson, demolished the old building in favor of a much larger hotel. It is still a busy landmark.
PORT ADELAIDE’S UNITING CHURCH - by November of 1849, a group of Christians from various denominations had been meeting informally in a sail loft. They then formed themselves into the “Congregational Church of Port Adelaide.” Over the next several years, the group met in three different buildings until their present church was built in 1867. By 1978, they had become part of the Uniting Church of Australia.