By 1892, Tampa had grown sufficiently that the citizenry felt the need for a new church. Groundbreaking occurred in 1898, with the cornerstone being laid two years later. It was officially dedicated in 1905 and renamed Sacred Heart. Parts of the new construction included a 135 foot dome and 70 stained glass windows. A school , called Sacred Heart Academy, was opened in 1931 and operated until 2012.
By 2005, the Jesuits had withdrawn from running the parish in order to focus on their academic institutions. Rev. Robert Lynch, the Diocesan Bishop at the time, invited the Franciscan Friars of the Most Holy Name of Jesus Province to assume responsibility for the parish.
A marker was installed on the exterior of the church in 2010 to recognize its historical significance.