The new school opened in 1895, eventually to be replaced by a all brick building in 1912. One of the school’s principals, Christina Meacham, helped to organize the Florida Negro Teacher’s Association. As a result, in 1923, the school was renamed in her honor.
Harlem Academy (now known as the Meacham school) closed in 1968, later to be demolished to make way for apartments and condos. A historic marker was erected on the site of the school in 2008.