Situated in the Josefsplatz (Joseph's Square), next to the Hofburg-the winter palace of the Hapsburg family- is the delightful Augustinerkirche, or the St. Augustine Church. Originally built in the 14th century as the parish church for the Imperial Court of the Hapsburgs, it has both gothic and baroque architecture. Duke Frederick the Handsome founded the church in 1327 with a cloister for the Augustinean Friars. It took 12 years to complete but was not consecrated until 1349. During the reign of Holy Roman EmperorJoseph II (1765-1790), eldest son of Emperess Maria Theresa and brother of Marie Antoinette, 18 side altars were removed. Remaining along the right side of the church are the tombs of Maria Christina and her husband Duke Albert (however their bodies were removed and placed in St. Stephen's Cathedral). The Loreto Chapel to the right of the main altar holds several silver urns containing the hearts of Hapsburg rulers. Their bodies are in the Imperial Crypt at St. Stephen's.
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.