Marie de Rabutin Chantel married Henri Sevigne (descendant of the first Sevigne to own the property) in the early part of the 17th century. In 1644, shortly after their union, the newly designated Marquese de Sevigne discovered the summer resort residence and fell in love with the castle. It was here that this most famous resident penned 297 letters (most addressed to her daughter) between 1644 and 1690 during her 16 visits to the estate. By 1715, the Netamiere family had acquired the property and began extensive restorations of the castle.
Reconstructed (In the Gothic style) as an L-shaped structure, with two towers and an octagonal chapel, the castle has remained private property.