Sitting atop Cap Diamant (the highest point in Quebec) "The Citadel" is still an active military base (i.e. Home of the 22nd Regiment). It is the oldest military installation in Canada and was part of the original fortifications of Quebec. Champlain had recognized the strategic importance of this promontory when he began construction of the original Fort St. Louis in 1608. The first part of the fortified wall was completed in time for the Battle of Quebec in 1690. However, the French balked at constructing a full fort as being too costly. The British also felt a full fort would be too costly to build when they took over Quebec in 1757. This thinking began to change after the Americans attacked Montreal in 1775 and threatened Quebec in the War of 1812. Construction of the current star shaped fort began in 1820 and was completed in 1850. The design eliminated all blind spots along the walls, and grass was allowed to grow wild to help camouflaged the fort. Following the Canadian Confederation of 1867, British forces left and Canada assumed responsibility for its own defense. Since 1920, the Citadel has housed the official residence of the Governor General of Canada and has been home to the Royal 22nd Regiment of Canada, the only totally French speaking force in Canada.
Part of the cannonade that protected the fort. The large canon at the far end is the largest of its kind in the fort. It was so heavy that it had to be shipped in pieces and reassembled (like Legos) once it arrived. Even though the canon sits on tracks, it took 16 men to swing it around to fire in the correct position.
The Governor General's residence, also known as building number 28, is attached to the Officers' barracks. During the War of 1812, this building served as a curtain wall between two bastions and was an integral part of the defensive system. All Governor Generals of Canada since 1872 have resided here (at least part time).
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.