Architect to the King, Jacques Gabriel, was inspired to join these structures into a single building by the works of other great architects, e.g. Le Vau and Hardouin-Monsart. In the original design , the niche under the clock tower housed a statue of King Louis XV. This was destroyed during the French Revolution 1789). From 1793 until, at least 1799, a guillotine was situated on the Plaza in front of City Hall for public executions.
In 1963, the City Hall complex was designated a historical monument, protected by the government.