When construction began in July of 1789, a decision was made to transform the military gardens into a public park. As the process progresses, a number of associated projects were added to the plans, including cattle and sheep farms, a garden for students of a neighboring military academy, and a farming school. While in the beginning, the gardens were called “Theodore’s Park,” this quickly (by1792) changed to being called the “English Gardens,”
A seventy-five foot tall, five story wooden structure, known as the “Chinese Tower,” was built towards the middle of the park, surrounded by eating venues. World War II Allied bombings destroyed the tower during 1944. It was rebuilt according to its original plans in 1951. A Greek-style temple, called the “Monopteros” (a circular colonnade supporting a roof but without walls) was constructed o. A 45 foot tall hill overlooking some of the surrounding open fields in 1832. One hundred forty years later, a Japanese Tea House and garden were built on the southern end of the park to celebrate the 1972 Summer Olympics held in Munich. Also located in the southern end of the park is the immensely popular artificial stream, which includes a standing wave for river surfers to practice their skills.