During the Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648), Heidelberg had been bombed and finally burned. The only building to escape unscathed was the hotel. The city was again destroyed during the Palatinate War of Succession (1689), with the hotel once again remaining undamaged. In 1693, Heidelberg was again destroyed (this time by the French) and miraculously, the hotel was not destroyed ( the owners probably should have renamed it after St. Christopher, the patron saint of good luck). For the next ten years, Heidelberg’s city council held its meetings in the hotel because the Town Hall had been destroyed.
Ownership of the hotel passed through several hands over the years; the Hormuth family bought it from Beiler and owned it for nearly one hundred years (after changing it into a tavern); In 1842, Philip Hormuth turned the structure back into a hotel; The Zeuner family bought it in 1904, selling it 31 years later to the Actien Brewery; It finally ended up being owned by Margaret and Georg Kuchelmeister.
What a wonderful landmark in the center of Heidelberg and well worth exploring.