Social reformer and founder of the Presbyterian denomination in Scotland, John Knox served as a Royal Chaplain under King Edward VI in the mid-1500's. When Mary Tudor's reign returned Catholicism to Scotland, Knox moved to Geneva where he met John Calvin and was influenced by Calvin's theories of Reformed Theology. Upon his return to Scotland, Knox led the Protestant Reformation there. He lived for a brief time in the home of the Mossman family along the Royal Mile before his death in 1572. This home, originally constructed in 1490, is where renowned goldsmith James Mossman had his shop. Mossman supposedly refurbished Scotland's crown here for James V. A strong supporter of Mary Queen of Scots, Mossman helped to maintain Edinburgh castle during Mary's exile. Following Mary's forced abdication, Mossman was accused of counterfeiting and was hanged in 1573, and the family's property was confiscated. Knox's association with the Mossman house saved it from demolition, making it only one of two medieval structures that have survived along the Royal Mile ( the other being the Moubray House to which it is attached).