May 1st. (May Day) in all of Europe is a holiday. As a result, none of the attractions we had planned on visiting were open. Not to be deterred, however, we went exploring. Just five minutes of walking brought us to the lovely De Meeds Sq. park noted in the pictures below;
A short walk further on, we encountered the Royal Palace, constructed (in its present form) between 1783 and 1934. While this is the official palace of the Monarchy of the Belgians, it is not used as their residence (that is located elsewhere), but rather for official state functions. Apartments for visiting Heads of State are contained within. The first palace situated on this site (the Cauldenberg) was constructed between the latter half of the 11th century and the first half of the 12th century. Descriptions of the Cauldenberg indicated that it "...looked like a fortified castle." Many renovations and reconstructions occurred during the following centuries. Then, in 1731, the whole complex was destroyed in a fire. The new Royal Palace was built over the ruins of the Cauldenberg.