The Dominicans and Franciscans arrived in Dubrovnik around the same time, the early 13th century.
Arriving around 1225, the Dominicans did not establish their monastery until the 14th century. Located in the eastern part of the Old Town, near the Ploce Gate, it has become one of the most important archetectual parts of the city. The Dominican Monastery houses treasures of cultural art (paintings, artifacts, jewelry) but by far it's most notable piece is the large golden crucifix designed by Paolo Veneglian in the 14th century. The four evangelists surround Christ in each of the corners, while the mourning characters of Mary and St. Joseph are below.
The Franciscans arrived in Dubrovnik in 1234. Their first monastery was established outside the Old Town city walls, on the site now occupied by the Hotel Imperial. When war seemed imminent in 1317, the Franciscans demolished the monastery to prevent the enemy from using it. Rebuilding a new monastery within the Old Town walls, next to the Holy Savior Church just inside the Pile Gate, was accomplished within the year. That same year, the Franciscans established a "minor" pharmacy with the intention of caring just for their brethren. However, it quickly became a public pharmacy and still functions as such today, the third oldest functioning pharmacy in the world. In 1937, a museum was added to the complex.