Originally known as the Camesina House (named after the family that owned it since 1720) the structure was constructed as a two story house in the 17th century. Mozart and his family lived here between 1784 and 1787. Now a museum, this is the only surviving known residence of Vienna's great composer. The apartment consisted of four large rooms, two smaller rooms, and a kitchen. On the 150th anniversary of Mozart's death (1941) Vienna opened his former rooms to the public as part of the "Imperial German Mozart Week". Today as a museum, it presents information about the composer's life, along with historical exhibits. Again, as in many museums throughout Europe, interior photographs were not allowed.
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.