Dedicated to exhibiting daily life centuries ago, in-and-around Dubrovnik, the Ethnographic Museum is situated in the old 16th century granary. Originally built by the government of Dubrovnik in 1590 (after 42 years of construction), it is located on the Islet of Lave, the oldest part of town, just a two minute walk from the main road. Wheat, barley, and millet were aired and dried on the upper floor then channeled down shutes into 15 stone silos (called Rupe) that had been coated with a waterproofing material to keep the grain dry. These silos held 1200 tons of grain that was sold to the public.
Renovated in 1991, the building now houses 5000 exhibits of folk costumes, textile handiwork, and life in the countryside of Dubrovnik.