The friary was once again confiscated by the English in 1584 and the monks were evicted. Two years later, the Earl of Clanrickarde bought the property and again returned it to the Franciscans. When the “Nine Years War (1593 to 1603)” occurred between England and Ireland, the English army turned the friary into a garrison post.
The property continued to switch ownership until Oliver Cromwell invaded Ireland. At that time, the friary became an informal shelter for Catholic Clergy fleeing Cromwell’s troops. In 1753, the monks once again abandoned the property because of religious persecution. They never returned and the building descended into ruins.
Today, as a National Monument, Ross Errilly Friary is maintained by the Office of Public Works and is open to visitors, free of charge. It has been featured in such films as “Bad Karma,” “Moving Target,” and the series “Reign.”