Three blocks west of Santa Fe's Plaza is the "Santaurio de Guadalupe" (Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe), the oldest standing shrine in the U.S. Built along the banks of the Santa Fe River in 1777, it commemorates the 1531 visions of Mary to Aztec peasant Juan Diego of Tapeyca, Mexico. Originally, it had three foot thick Adobe walls, a dirt floor, and a three-tiered bell tower. Because of disrepair, the church was closed in 1826 until renovations could be completed. A 1922 fire destroyed the roof and bell tower. These were subsequently replaced. Again, because of deterioration, the church was closed in 1961, until new restorations could be completed. Due to a growing congregation, a larger church was constructed on an adjacent lot. The original chapel remains active but also serves as an art and history museum. One of its treasures is the largest oil painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Spanish Southwest. Painted in 1783 by Jose de Alzibar, it is on the wall behind the altar and depicts Our Lady of Guadalupe surrounded by images of the visions she gave to Juan Diego. Outside the chapel is a walking path with six tiled mosaics, created by artist Arlene Cisneros Sena, illustrating the 1531 apparitions of Mary. The newest addition (2009) to the shrine is a twelve foot statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the courtyard. We passed by this shrine everyday on our way to the center of Santa Fe, so, of course we had to explore it. It is an interesting place.
Welcome to the Santaurio de Guadalupe (Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
This twelve foot statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe was added to the Shrine (in the background) in 2009.
Behind the altar is the 1783 painting by Jose De Alzibar.
Considered to be one of the main treasures of the Shrine, it depicts Our Lady of Guadalupe surrounded by images of the visions she reportedly sent to an Aztec peasant in 1531.
To the left of the previous altar piece is this statue of the Aztec peasant, Juan Diego who received the visions.
An 1880's photo of the Chapel.
Two things to notice in this picture; first, is the beautiful winding staircase to the choir loft; and second, the huge double entrance doors on the right with a smaller built-in door.
Outside the Shrine is a walking path with six tiled mosaics by artist Arlene Cisneros Sena.
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.