During our walk through the Vatican grounds earlier today, we happened upon the Teutonic College and chapel. While the college is considered to be one of the Pontifical colleges of the Vatican, in some circles it is considered to be technically not part of Vatican City but rather the last remnants of the Roman Empire. This college was founded in 1399 as a hospice for German pilgrims and still serves as a place for German priests to study at the Vatican .
The chapel sits in one corner of the Teutonic College and borders the Teutonic Cemetary (which will be discussed later). We have no idea why skeletons are such a big part of this place, but they can be found throughout the chapel.
This five panel alter-piece is found as part of the main altar.
One of the side altars.
The Coat-of-arms for the Teutonic College. At least one document indicates that the head of the college at the end of World War II was instrumental in aiding Nazi Germans to relocate to South America.