The end of Charleston’s peninsula, at the junction of the Ashley and Cooper rivers (creating Charleston Harbor) was home to Fort Broughton during the early 1700’s and, later, to Fort William during the American Revolutionary War; known then as White (or Oyster) Point because of the piles of bleached oyster shells. The promenade along the sea wall was first used as as a public park in 1837 and was officially known as White Point Gardens. However, locals prefer to call it by its nickname, “The Battery” because of its prominence as a coastal defensive system during the Civil War. Fort Sumter is visible from the Cooper River side of the park. Today, this beautiful green space is more noted for the many antebellum homes constructed opposite the sea wall. These grand homes include the Louis DeSaussure House, the Roper House, and the William Ravenel House, among others. During warm summer days, a stroll along the promenade is not only full of history, but also a relaxing way to watch the goings on in the harbor.
White Point Gardens at the Junction of the Cooper and Ashley Rivers is popularly known as “The Battery Park” by locals.
Four months after South Carolina seceded from the United States, the Civil War began when Confederate Forces fired on Fort Sumpter, visible across the harbor from here. Locals like to call this area “Battery Park” because of its role during the Civil War.
An 1863 archival photo of Confederate Forces at “Battery Park.”
While this coastal defensive system is what gave the park its nickname...
...viewing the grand mansions along the promenade attract an equal number of visitors.
These homes are truly impressive.
Every Park has to have a gazebo/bandstand...
...as well as a requisite number of statues.
Carl and Lorraine Aveni are two retirees planning on traveling through Europe for at least one year.