Located on Divon Yolu St. between Sultanahmet Square and the Grand Bazaar, is the Tomb and cemetary of Sultan Mahmud II. Born in the Topkapi Palace in 1789, he ruled from around 1808 until his death from TB in 1839. Mahmud II was well educated, eventually becoming a calligrapher, a composer, and an author (writing under the pseudonym of "Adlee"). He had 15 sons and 18 daughters. Following his death, his son Abdulmecid ordered the construction of the tomb on lands donated by Mahmud II's sister, Esma Sultan, whose mansion was also located on the grounds. The tomb itself was built in the octagonal Empire style made famous by Napoleon. Next to the tomb, the courtyard was turned into a cemetary in 1861 for the burial of statesmen, authors, and poets who served between 1840 and 1920. The graves within the cemetary have vertical columns around them with the tallest of them situated at the head of the deceased and facing Mecca.
While we were there, we noticed several free ranging cats on the grounds. They all appeared to be well fed and cared for.