Zagreb is the largest city and Capitol of Croatia. It extends approximately 19 miles on an east-west line and 12 miles on a north-south line. The Roman town of Andautonia was the first settlement here. Zagreb, the origins of its name still remains a mystery, became a free Royal town in 1242.
Before making our first extensive exploration of Zagreb, we took a side-trip to the Caritas charitable organization near the Cathedral to donate some of the clothing we had determined to be unneeded to the poor. How can a week's worth of clothing each, contain "excessive" items? It does seem counter-intuitive. That decision came after five months of travel, washing and rewashing the clothes we were using, and having to deal with lifting the bags into airline overhead bins. This process reinforced our belief that we do not need "...a lot of stuff..." to enjoy life.
With this side trip completed, we centered our explorations around Ban Jelacic square. Named after Count Josip Jelacic, an Austrian general who became Governor of Croatia from 1848 to 1859, it has served as Zagreb's commercial heart for over four centuries. Most of the current buildings surrounding the square date from the 19th century due to fires, earthquakes, and invasions that destroyed the older buildings. The following pictures depict some of the places we visited on this part of our trip.